Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Slight Overcompensation

At work today, the vending machine ate my money while I was trying to procure a diet pepsi. I was especially saddened, as I had ventured to multiple floors before finding a machine that wasn't sold out. Also, I had just used the last of my change. With no choice, I called the number on the vending machine to report the problem. In my previous experience, these numbers tend to be similar to the button that people press repeatedly at crosswalks - they both make you feel better, but actually accomplish nothing. But, not this time. As it turns out, the vending machine operators are linked with our general food service operation. The man I spoke to on the phone personally arrived at my desk within 10 minutes. He presented me with a refund for my soda AND a diet pepsi, a cup with ice, a bag of chips, a bag of gourment caramel popcorn AND a free lunch coupon. Very nice. But, also, an absurd overcompensation for a vending machine eating my money. Thank you sir. But, what are you hiding and why do you want me to be happy that the vending machine malfunctioned?

1 comment:

  1. Impressive. Perhaps it's all a ploy to make you feel guilty and thus refrain from using the phone number in the future?

    ReplyDelete